EASEUS Todo Backup Free
Full backups of your computer system are an excellent precaution as disks and entite computer systems eventually fail. Unfortunately, they are a pain in the ass to perform and often a pain in the ass to restore from when your disk or computer fails and has to be replaced. There probably isn't any software -- free or commercial -- that can make the process truly painless. The latest version (2.5) of EASEUS Todo Backup Free comes close -- and as the name implies, it's free.
Here's a feature overview from the utility's website.
* Backup system - back up entire system state, including the operation system and installed applications on-the-fly without interrupting Windows work
* Backup all files - Network shared files, specified files & folders and kinds of file types can be full or selectively backed up.
* Schedule backup - create plans for your backups by hour/day/week/month and automate regular backups for a "set it and forget it" backup on PCs.
* Incremental disk and file backup - backup the changes of your files since last disk/partition or file backup and save the storage space.
* Event-based backup - create backups based on events or conditions like system startup/shutdown, user log on/logout.
* Email notification - Email notifying and reporting to monitor success or failure.
* Flexible backup storage - backup system or data to a local hard drive, external hard drive, USB drive, or CD/DVD for double protection if disaster occurs.
* Disk & Partition backup - backup the entire hard disk or partition for a system protection or migration.
* Selective file restore - selectively recover files & folders from a backup image without recovering entire image
* Universal restore - just a few steps to create a WinPE bootable disk and then easily restore or migrate the system to dissimilar hardware configuration for hardware replacement.
* Disk & partition recovery - fast recover the whole hard disk or partition to original or different hardware to upgrade & migrate hard disk.
* Explore backup image file to restore at a granular level - Explore, copy and restore files and folders directly from a backup image in Windows Explorer.
* Delete old images to save disk space - automatically delete/overwrite old images to save disk space according to your own time-setting.
* Compression - compress backups to optimize your storage space.
* Splitting backups - split backup image files into sizes to fit media.
* Edit, View, Delete backup task/plan in the centralized management console.
* Update backup - update backup changes for timely protection.
* Schedule Backup Ongoing Indicator - timely notify whether your schedule is ongoing, and allow manually cancel the schedule.
* Back up to FTP server for double protection - backup your PC and files to remote FTP server and double protect your PC with immediate offsite backup.
* P2V image files convert support - Convert hard disk or partition image file to VMware or virtual PC format to run on a virtual machine.
* Pre/post commands - define commands (scripts) to execute the commands after or before backup tasks.
* Log reporting - record and view all operations for PCs.
Advanced Backup & Disk Tools
* Disk clone - create an exact image copy of hard disk and exactly migrate all files to another.
* Partition clone - create an exact image copy of partition and exactly transfer all files to another.
* Check image - check integrity of image file and make sure the backups can be restored successfully.
* Mount/Unmount image - mount a disk and partition image to a virtual partition (working as ordinary, logical drives) to explore or copy files in it.
* Password-protection for backup images - Protect your backup images from unauthorized access.
* Wipe data - wipe all sensitive or confidential files permanently if necessary.
That's a long list and your eyes may have glazed over reading it, so I'd like to point out a few unusual features -- especially unusual is free software. First, EASEUS Todo Backup Free offers selective file restore -- that is it allows you to select just a file or two from your backup to restore. This means your backup can help when you accidently delete or change an important file without forcing you to restore your entire system. Second, it allows you to create as WinPE disk which will help you if you have to restore your backup on different hardware -- like a temporary or permanent replacement machine with a different hardware configuration. This one feature goes a long way to eliminating the frustration of getting a new machine only to discover that your backup is completely useless because the hardware on your replacement system is different. This is not perfect, of course, as your hardware may not be compatiable with your old operating system install but at least you should be able recover your data from your backup for you new machine. EASEUS Todo Backup Free also allows you to mount a backup as a virtual drive and convert a backup to a disk image file that Vmware or Virtual PC can use. Powerful and useful features in an backup software, especially free backup software.
Operating System: Windows 2000/XP and Vista/7 (32 bit and 64 bit)
Version Tested: 2.6
Web Site: http://www.todo-backup.com/business/free-backup.htm