Autokey - An Autohotkey Substitute for Linux
Autohotkey is one of the best "macro programs" for automating Windows. I first mentioned it on this site back in 2006: AutoHotKey. Unfortunately, there has never been anything quite like it for Linux. Now these is: Autokey. Autokey is not a Linux clone of Autohotkey, but it how most of the power of Autohotkey in a Linux friendly format. Like Autohotkey, Autokey lets you manage a collection of scripts and phrases, and assign abbreviations and hotkeys to these. This allows you to execute a script or insert text on demand in whatever program you are using. The most obvious change from Autohotkey is the macro programming language. Autohotkey has its own quirky but functional macro language. Autokey just uses the python programming language -- which is a standard program ion most Linux systems.
Here's a brief list of Autokey features from the Autokey web site:
* Python scripting engine allows you to automate virtually any task that can be accomplished via the keyboard and/or mouse
* Built-in code editor with autocomplete and calltips
* Scripts are plain Python files that can be edited in any text editor
* Similarly, phrases are stored as plain text files
* Create collections of phrases/scripts in folders, and assign a hotkey or abbreviation to the folder to display a popup menu
* Regular expressions can be used to filter windows by their title or class, to exclude hotkeys/abbreviations from triggering in certain applications
* Scripts, phrases and folders can be attached to the notification icon menu, allowing you to select them without assigning a hotkey or abbreviation
If you have moved from Windows to Linux and miss Autohotkey, Autokey provides a similar functionality and works well. The only drawback is that Autokey will not run the (many) scripts developed for Autohotkey. There is a program, IronAHK, which is a MONO-based version of Autohotkey which reportedly will run many Autohotkey scripts. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get it to work -- at least not reliably.
Operating System: Linux
License: GPL 3
Version Tested: 0.90.4
Web Site: http://code.google.com/p/autokey/