RandallS - Tue, 2007-05-08 14:42
If you have ever wanted to try Linux but did not want to have repartition your hard drive or run Linux in a (slower and graphically limited) virtual machine, you will want to look at Wubi. Wubi will install the current version of Ubuntu (one of the most popular Linux distributions) in large files on your current XP hard drive and add Ubuntu to the standard XP boot manager. This will allow you to select either Windows XP or Ubuntu when you boot the machine.
RandallS - Sat, 2007-05-05 10:18
I'm posting about this tiny utility more so that I can find it again than out of any expectation that hundreds of thousands of readers are going to run out and get a copy, so if this utility seems useless to you -- I will not feel bad. I expect only one out of a hundred power users would have any use for it.
RandallS - Sat, 2007-05-05 09:21
The latest update of Picasa, Google's wonderful image viewer/organizer is available. The new features in version 2.7 are:
* New RAW processing engine with support for more cameras and improved color.
* New color engine for "tuning" fixes.
* Added support for Google Photos Screensaver.
* Improved BlogThis! reliability.
The improved RAW support will make many digital camera owner very happy.
RandallS - Wed, 2007-05-02 17:05
RandallS - Mon, 2007-04-30 09:28
It happens to me almost every day. I want to save a file in my Data directory on my D: drive, but the program insists on starting the save dialog with the My Documents directory buried deep on my C: drive. I have to click and click and click to get to the directory I want. Folder Guide allows me to select my favorite directories for a "Folder Guide" submenu which is added to the right click menu of open and save dialogs.
RandallS - Thu, 2007-04-26 11:57
ImageTasks is a jack of all trades image application that might be especially useful for anyone making HTML image ablums as it can batch process images and then generate an ablum ready to be uploaded to your web site. From the ImageTasks web site:
RandallS - Tue, 2007-04-24 09:43
My favorite freeware graphics viewer, Irfanview, has just received its latest update, from version 3.99 to 4.00. According to the Irfanview web site, the following "major" changes were made in this new version:
* Improved Vista compatibility
* New display option: Center image in window (Menu: View->Display options)
* Toolbar skin option added (Properties->Toolbar)
More Toolbar skins are available on the IrfanView homepage.
=> Users can send new Toolbar skins by email, Thanks guys!
RandallS - Mon, 2007-04-23 15:39
Jlc's Internet TV has just reached version 1.0 final. It is a freeware program for finding and watching Internet TV channels. The program automatically finds over 1400 Internet TV channels. It has the following major features:
* Watch over 1400 online TV channels for free!
* User friendly interface with inbuilt channel list.
* Channel updater which keeps your list synchronized with the list at World Wide Internet TV
* Program updater automatically keeps your program up to date.
* Powerful search function lets you easily find any channel.
RandallS - Fri, 2007-04-20 15:23
Ever wish that Windows Explorer -- the file manager in Widows -- had a bit more power? Explorer XP is a freeware replacement for Windows Explorer which adds many nice features to the familiar Windows Explorer interface:
* Tabbed interface - all your windows (open folders) will appear inside a single ExplorerXP application. The tab bar provides a quick access to all open windows
* Easy access to My Computer, Recycle Bin , My Documents & Desktop
RandallS - Thu, 2007-04-19 07:37
The Mozilla folks released Thunderbird 2 last night. I haven't had a chance to play with it as I don't do major program updates on busy days, but it looks very good. All the nice features of Thunderbird 1.5 plus the following new features (from the release notes):
* Message Tags: Create your own tags for organizing email. Messages can be assigned any number of tags. Tags can be combined with saved searches and mail views to make it easier to organize email.