There are a huge number of programs (free and commercial) that claim to optimize and/or free RAM memory in Windows XP. In my humble opinion, most do more harm that good except in very special circumstances as Windows XP does a very good job of managing memory without any extra addons. In fact, most of the addon memory managers I've tried either made Windows slower or actually used more memory than they could usefully free.
FreeRAM XP Pro is an exception. While I still don't find is necessary most of the time, it actually works well and is handy to have for those times when freeing memory will actually help. I normally do not keep it running, but I've created a special shortcut (FreeRAM XP Pro calls them "RAM-cuts") that runs the program, uses the "AutoFree" option to have running programs give up as much memory as they are willing to, and then exits. I use this to bring Explorer and Firefox into line when they start hogging too much memory. It's quick and actually helps.
FreeRAM XP Pro has a number of features, however, as this partial list of features and options from the program's web site shows:
* Automatic, real-time memory monitoring and optimization
* Fast, threaded memory freeing with stop option
* AutoFree option intelligently optimizes RAM without sacrificing performance
* system metric and performance monitors
* Advanced tray support
* Memory reporting and diagnostic logging
* Simple, attractive interface
* RAM-cuts (RAM-freeing Windows shortcuts)
* Customizable Windows hotkey support
* Access to Windows memory-related tweaks that could enhance system performance
* Process memory usage reporting
* Unique memory compression technology directly reduces applications' "working set" memory requirements instantly and without swap file usage: completely unlike other memory programs
If you think you need a memory manager, this is the program to try first. If it doesn't help, chances are good that other general memory freeing programs will not help either.
Operating System: Windows 95+
Web Site: http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/software.html#framxpro