Ever wanted to make your own icons for Windows -- for that special file, folder, or program you want to stand out from the crowd. SnIco Edit is a modern icon editor with a large number of options -- it is even able to create alpha-blended icons for Windows XP. It's also fairly simple to use.
Here are the major features from the SnIco Edit web site:
* Support for Windows icons and cursors: default sizes 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48. Also custom sizes are supported. All colordepths are supported including Windows XP alphablending.
* Support for animated icon files (ANI files).
* Importing from EXE, DLL, BMP, GIF, PNG, JPG and screen.
* Exporting to BMP, GIF, PNG and JPG.
* Many effects like: RGB/HLS adjusting, blurring, rotating, antialiasing.
* Multi-language support
* Multiple files open at the same time.
* Support for tablets
SnIco Edit requires that you have your screen color depth set to 32 bits. This is commonly the default on most modern systems. It is free for private use (although donations are welcomed), but payment is required for commercial use. Fancy commercial icon editors have more features, but unless you are designing lots of icons, chances are SnIco Edit will more than meet your icon designing needs.