There is a lot of commercial Bible software on the market, ranging in price from under $50 to over $500. e-Sword is free and has most of the features that the average user is likely to actually use. It's main disadvantage is that its selection of Bibles and commentaries fails to include many modern translations and commentaries because of copyright issues, but if you own copies these Bibles from several commercial programs (QuickVerse, Bible Companion, or WORDsearch), you can use them in e-Sword.
Some of e-Sword's feature as listed on the e-Sword website:
* All available Bibles, commentaries and dictionaries are readily viewed without having to "tile windows".
* Create your own "parallel Bible" with up to any four translations. Studying the Word of God and comparing passages have never been easier!
* Integrated editor for creating your own commentaries or study notes, complete with Spell Checking and a Thesaurus! Notes are "linked" to the Bible for easy viewing and can also be exported for portability.
* Comprehensive print capabilities, including print preview, allow you to create impressive Bible study handouts from the Study Notes Editor.
* Strong's definitions are displayed as ToolTips! Just place the mouse pointer over a Strong's number and the definition will then be displayed.
* Scripture references in the Commentary and Dictionary views are displayed as ToolTips! Just place the mouse pointer over the reference and the passage will then be displayed. To go to the passage, just click it!
* Easily compare the various translations to see how they rendered the Greek or Hebrew manuscripts.
* Powerful search capabilities, yet simple to use. Enter as many words you want to search for and select the search style and range. You can even search on Strong numbers and exclude words from the search!
* Use the Verse List to create your own topical lists of Scripture, or cataloging your discoveries!
* Copy and print Scripture in a variety of formatting styles. This is also available for search results and verse lists.
* Graphics Viewer for studying maps, charts, and other images.
* STEP Reader for viewing the various resources you may have invested in from QuickVerse, Bible Companion, and WORDsearch.
e-Sword is designed and programmed by a professional programmer and is regularly updated.
Rating: 4.5 Stars (Software) 3 Stars (Available Bible texts)
Operating System: Windows (special Pocket PC version available)
Version Reviewed: 7.7.7
Web Site: http://www.e-sword.net/