I've used IrfanView to viewing graphics for more years than I can count -- probably since I bought my first computer with Windows 9x on it. It is a very fast, small, compact freeware graphic viewer than can display and work with a huge number (around 100) of graphic file formats. I can download just about graphic file from the Internet and Irfanview will let me see it.
IrfanView is regularly updated and has a constantly growing set of features. Over the years it has acquired some basic editing functions as well. It will never be Photoshop or even Paint Shop Pro, but the ability to do basic graphic editing within your graphics viewer is very handy. IfranView can even do batch editing and use many photoshop filters.
Some IrfanView features from the list on the web site:
* Many supported file formats (click here the list of formats)
* Multi language support
* Thumbnail/preview option
* Slideshow (save slideshow as EXE/SCR or burn it to CD)
* Show EXIF/IPTC/Comment text in Slideshow/Fullscreen etc.
* Support for Adobe Photoshop Filters
* Fast directory view (moving through directory)
* Batch conversion (with image processing)
* Multipage TIF editing
* Email option
* Multimedia player
* Print option
* Change color depth
* Scan (batch scan) support
* IPTC editing
* Effects (Sharpen, Blur, Adobe 8BF, Filter Factory, Filters Unlimited, etc.)
* Extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs
* Lossless JPG rotation
* Many hotkeys
* Many command line options
* Many PlugIns
* Only one EXE-File, no DLLs, no Shareware messages like "I Agree" or "Evaluation expired"
* No registry changes without user action/permission!
* and much much more
I use this program almost every day, I've tried a number of replacements, both freeware and payware, and always come back to Irfanview as it lets me do what I need to do without a lot of bloat and without getting in my way.
Rating: 5 Stars
Operating System: Windows
License: Commercial Freeware
Version Reviewed: 3.98
Web Site: http://www.irfanview.com/